OTR Carriers Making Fuel Saving Improvements
If you pay any attention to diesel fuel prices you know that the price has gone up significantly over the last few weeks, up over 30 cents from it’s low in early July. This can wreak havoc on your freight budget and predicting the cost of moving freight. With the average cost of diesel expected to be above the $4.00 a gallon mark in just a few days, over the road carriers are making fleet adjustments to insure they are getting the most for their fuel dollar. With larger carriers, even a tenth of a mile per gallon increase can make a huge difference and you can bet that they all employ folks absolutely obsessed with fuel economy.
What are OTR Carriers Doing to Improve Fuel Economy?
- A number of carriers are replacing their trucks with newer models that get better mileage.
- Larger OTR carriers purchase fuel in bulk, getting a discount on purchases.
- Investing in new truck technology, with auxiliary power units that can save huge amounts of fuel in idling trucks.
- Updating trailers and adding wind skirts to improve aerodynamics.
Fleet maintenance is getting a big emphasis as well, things like tire condition and inflation can make a big difference and no stone is left unturned in the push to save.
You can count on the experts at Freight Management Logistics to keep an eye on trends within the freight industry and apply those to your freight shipments. Freight Management Logistics provides freight brokerage services. Our mission is to leverage our freight and transportation knowledge to get our customers better prices and better service for their freight, cargo and shipping dollar.
Contact us now if you need a freight quote for your over the road freight shipment!
– The Freight Management Logistics Team